Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Poetry Soup

Poetry writing is Imaginary, a word play and dreamy thoughts. I write my poems randomly, attempting to rhyme and verse with word play and thereby reading and referring poems of many poets too when I have some time to explore.

When I ever wrote poetry, the first thing that I thought of was 'Sounds'. We use sounds and words to create effects in poetry. The most common method I guess all follow is Rhyme. If the words at the ends of two or more lines of a poem rhyme, the poem has a rhyme scheme. I remember "Pied Beauty" in which the poet Gerard Hopkins used a rhyme scheme - words like things, wings - swim, trim.

Glory be to God for dappled things-for skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh fire-coal chestnut falls, finches' wings;
landscape plotted and pieced - fold, fallow and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

I think, we need to teach children the basics of rhyming words first and provide them a vocabulary of all words that rhyme. Before embarking on a poem to weave, the kids need to have the Poetry Soup and use the ingredients to stir them well.

Well, here's the new Poetry pages - You can even email your poems to appear on the Readers' contribution page if selected. Watch the space as I will be adding Poetry Comprehension to appear on Grammar Fun Worksheets too.

- ilaxi patel
Editor, www.kidsfreesouls.com
Newspaper for Kids with Resources for Parents and Teachers
Author of Guardian of Angels

No comments: