Pic - Getty Images in Kidsfreesouls Environment
As february is Dental Hygiene month, here's my permalink on Health Blog. I wonder, how can the younger kids and adults face the trauma of Dentist treatment? One culprit in food is Sugar to be blamed as far as eating habits are concerned. Other than sugar too, there are factors responsible.
When children are younger, early visit to the dentist is a good way to learn proper oral hygiene at an early age, including avoiding nighttime bottles or cups of formula or juice, proper tooth-brushing, and a diet that promotes good dental health. Normally, a child diet is overlooked as we pamper our kids and stuff them with a lot of binge food and the chocolates n cakes n all the sugary n creamy stuff.
I would recommend simple steps for kids :
1. Know your mouth - teeth are vulnerable to acid attacks and we need to limit the amount of time teeth is exposed to the acid produced by the bacteria in the mouth. Hence, keep teeth clean, eat less of the foods that bacteria proliferate and get to eat more food that has positive effects.
2. Right Food: I said sugar but than sugar alone is not the culprit too. Carbohydrated food forms acids which sets the scene for decay. Hence, to make neutral - bad to good - is to finish a carbohydrate rich food with piece of cheese or keep sugar free gums.
3. Good Dental care: major problem with children is brushing the teeth. Twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. It's necessary to clean between the teeth with dental floss once a day. No eating before bedtime as salivary flow decreases as we sleep. And visiting a dentist on regular intervals.
4. Eating habits: Frequency of eating should be reduced. We find children nibbling a snack or sipping a drink and parents providing all they can. Time between meals should be allowed for saliva to neutralize acids and repair the teeth. Even one need to avoid brushing teeth immediately ater acidic food like citrus fruits, etc. to allow time for remineralisation to occur.
5. Remember the plus and minus food: The moderate intake of cheese as cheedar and swiss cheese is fine. The neutral one's are protein foods as eggs, fish but the bad food for teeth are sweets, cookies, pasta - any form of sugar, even honey. Dried and canned fruit and juices and cold drinks with sugar contents are all no good for teeth. If taken, you need to care for oral health after consuming.
All is the need of the hour, is to take care of good care of teeth right from the younger age. Minimize the risk of Dental trauma and believe me, for kids, it's a 'Nightmare' just as adults face the pain.
You can find the Smile Calendar for February and more from ADA or even Download February Pet animal theme Calendar as 21st February is Pet Animal Day. Find the Calendar Events and Projects that kids may enjoy.
Btw, do you have Genius child and face Counselling issue with the child's attitude and behavior? Find Kidsfreesouls Team Crew answer in Counselling column and even read 'Create a Genius in your Child' in Mom Zone section.
- ilaxi patel
Newspaper for Kids
Author of Guardian of Angels