Friday, February 25, 2011

Les Miserables - novel in Literature class

Born on February 26, Victor Hugo is one of most known author whose work 'Les Miserables' is used in Literature class. Victor Hugo said: ‘‘I condemn slavery, I banish poverty, I teach ignorance, I treat disease, I lighten the night, and I hate hatred. That is what I am, and that is why I have written Les Misérables.’’ The novel is a critical statement against human suffering, poverty, and ignorance. Its purpose is as much political as it is artistic. Les Miserables is the story of four people. Bishop Myriel, Jean Valjean, Famine, and Marius Pontmercy, who meet, part, then meet again during the most agitated decades of nineteenth-century France. It also tells the story of the 1832 revolution and describes the unpleasant side of Paris. The novel is in essence a plea for humane treatment of the poor and for equality among all citizens. A must read and if not, watch the movie and it really gives thorough understanding. Watch the movie trailor and find the profile of Victor Marie Hugo

ilaxi patel


Kids Newspaper

No comments: